Thankfully, once again it was not a busy time and we only waited a few minutes before getting called back. I was a little irritated when we checked in that the receptionist wanted me to go over all the details of the accident again. I would answer a detail and then say "it should all be in his chart. We explained it all to the nurse and doctor on Monday night." Then she'd ask another question. Is this to trip us up in case we're abusers? Make sure our story is the same 2nd time around? If that's it, I'm pretty sure we got our details right and it's less irritating if it's to protect a child. If not, it's just annoying!
Mason had the same nurses as Monday night so they remembered him and talked to him & made him feel comfortable. A new doctor came in and checked his stitches and healing cut briefly, determined all was well and exited, leaving the nurse to remove the stitches. The suture was very fine and so it was hard for her to grasp the individual stitches with the tweezers and cut.
Mason laid down on the table with his eyes closed and was very brave and patient. I could see a tear held back in his eyelashes and I could see the determined set of his chin. It was wrinkled telling me he was flexing his little muscles to hold back tears and you could see just a touch of wobble to that cute little chin. She had to scrape a little at the minimal amount of scabbing and had to pull the sutures up to find a place to get the edge of the scissors in to cut.
This might not be a big deal for a lot of kids but for my little Mason, this was huge. He has had a big problem with fear of pain. He has had serious freakouts at the dentist and the doctor and even when he had a large plantar's wart on the bottom of his foot and we were trying to treat it. I would need to check it every few days and reapply the Duct tape and he would kick and cry and make me so crazy I couldn't stand him for a few minutes. (The duct tape totally worked by the way. The medicine the doctor prescribed was $70 and my insurance wouldn't cover it. My friend Wendy told me about the tape method and we did it on his foot. We left a piece on, covering the wart's surface, day and night changing it every few days for a few weeks and it disappeared, never to reappear!)
During the process, the nurse asked him a couple times if he was okay. He didn't respond. I think he was finding his own happy place of coping. He asked a couple of times "are you done yet?" but he asked calmly and stayed patient through the process.
We took him to Macey's for ice cream afterwards.
I've tried to make a big deal out of his brave attitude. It is nice to see your children climb their own little mountains.
Just like the first half of this whole situation.....
It's all about Agency!
No comments:
Post a Comment