Monday, August 8, 2011

In defense of the treasure hunt.


I love author, Robert Farrell Smith's, quirky sense of humor. He has written several LDS romantic comedies. He uses silly metaphors, eccentric characters set in Hick towns and his main character is usually a good hearted, endearing returned missionary who's a little lost personally and finds redemption through falling in love with a wonderful girl and a goofy congregation who he comes to love and who love him back unconditionally. They're not realistic but they're fun!

My all time favorite is Captain Matrimony:

Recently I was at my parent's cabin and had time for relaxation and reading. They are also fans and had a new one I'd not read before called "The Miracle of Forgetness".


It was a little harder to get into but I kept at it simply because I had liked his other books so much and about halfway through I was sold.

In this book the main character gets involved with a girl who turns out to definitely NOT be the girl of his dreams and she kidnaps him and takes him on a terrible theme date; part of the horror is a treasure hunt. He despises the entire thing, especially the treasure hunt which made me a little squirmy because I have sent Mark on many treasure hunts during our almost 20 years together. Mark, however, loves the treasure hunt. (At least he always looks like he's having fun and seems very happy during and after)

The first treasure hunt I sent him on was for his 23rd birthday. We had been dating a few weeks and he knew I was planning something because I had come to his work to pick up his condo keys. I told him I was making him dinner. I decorated his apartment with streamers and balloons, even taping a balloon to the outside of his door so it would be the first thing he'd see.
I placed a card with the first clue up against the TV and then I left. When he got home he thought he had me all figured out. He decided I was acting so cagey I must be throwing him a surprise party. He saw the balloon on the door and was sure he was right. He threw open the door to make his entrance and nothing. He wasn't perplexed, we must be hiding in the bedroom! He flung open each bedroom door with a surprised smile prepared. Now he was flummoxed. He sat down on the couch wondering what was up.....

Finally, he spied the card, opened it up. The first clue led him to a couple clues in the condo and then to the laundry room down the hall. Aha, a strange place to be surprised but that must be it. We were all waiting in the laundry room! He walked down the hall to find nothing but another clue in the dryer. This clue sent him down to the BBQ pool area. It was all making sense now. We were waiting at the pool. An evening BBQ and swimming pool party would be just the ticket for an August bday boy in Palm Springs California. What a smart little girlfriend he had! He was so sure he even went back to his condo and changed into his swim trunks so as to be ready for the party.

He hurried down to the pool area and SURPRISE!! nobody was there. He was really confused now. He found the next clue in the BBQ and went back upstairs to change. This clue sent him to a waterpark in town where a mutual friend worked. He wasn't taking anything for granted now and left his swim trunks at home. At the water park he got a present (a new tie)& his final clue that sent him to a fabulous little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant we both loved called El Gallito where I was waiting for him. It was a party for 2! He got a kick out of the whole thing and we had a great evening.

Through the years I have sent him on anniversary and birthday and father's day treasure hunts, some all at home, some where he has to drive around and find me. If he didn't enjoy it, knowing him, I am certain I would hear about it.

The most recent treasure hunt I sent him on was for Father's day.

This time the kids were in on it. I always write little rhyming clues and this year Carly wrote the clues with lots of help from her brothers and sisters.

We had bought him a few of his favorite treats for Father's day.
There were 2 boxes of ACT II butter Lover's popcorn, one package for every night he was going to be in North Carolina training for his new job the first half of July. Rachel usually makes him popcorn almost every night and we didn't want him to be without!

There were also Cheez-It crackers, Oreos and a red Tshirt that says "Awesome DAD".

The kids wrapped each present individually and hid one present with each clue so he would be collecting presents along the way.

He was like the Pied Piper.

He would read his clue and then march to where he thought the next clue would be

singing "left, left, left, right, left"

The kids would march behind him singing too.

He made it fun for them.

Now you tell me-

Doesn't this guy

look like he's having fun?

No comments: