My oldest girls are both born in June. 5 days apart. I am grateful that they are close in spirit as well. They do their share of griping at and fighting with each other but it really is minimal compared to lots of sister relationships I've seen.
Rachel's junior high years have been tough on her socially & emotionally. She has had several friends betray her in ways that left her untrusting and self-concious. Her 9th grade year was so much better than the first 2 had been. She has finally found a group of friends she can trust and that treat her with kindness. She has become more confident and happy.
Her last bday party was right after 5th grade......

It was a hawaiian theme and we had rice crispy treat sushi (those have gummy worms in the center and are wrapped with fruit roll-up "seaweed") and in lieu of a cake she had fruit flowers standing in a bowl of blue jello.
Our ironing board became a "surfboard" on a blue blanket ocean for photo ops. The kids loved it. We made a pinata shaped like a pineapple and 2 coconuts. We had water games. It was one of our best parties.

At that time I was doing an every other year bday party policy so the next one would have been after 7th but she declined. After 8th grade she declined as well. She just wasn't interested in having friends over. This year I asked her what she wanted to do and she didn't outright decline but was somewhat noncommittal. "I don't know...."
Carly came to me privately and said "I want to throw Rachel a surprise party". I was so touched that she would do this for her. We put our heads together and I bought some chips nad dip and veggies and made lemon muffins but Carly was the one who contacted friends, made invitations, planned games, decorated, entertained and got it all ready to go.
Her birthday was on a Monday, the monday after Mason was baptized so it had been hectic and busy with family visiting. Auntie Christy was still here so the 3 of us went out that morning. We got haircuts and went to lunch at Mimi's cafe and then hit the mall for a bit. At the arranged time, one-ish; if I remember right- we came back home with the excuse of dropping me off so to watch the kids and picking Carly up to continue shopping with them. We walked in the house through the garage as instructed and it was awfully quiet. Carly had everyone waiting to yell SURPRISE!!!!! in the front room. She had decorated the table and the room with streamers and balloons. Rachel was headed down to the family room but glanced in the front room and got the surprise of her life!
Along with her favorite student council and drama friends from school, her cousins Katrina and Mallerie came all the way from Heber and 2 of her very good friends, Damon & Jordan, that moved away a couple years ago came all the way from Santaquin! Very exciting.
"Who did this? Was it you?" she asked as she looked at Carly standing proudly in the midst of them. Carly nodded and they both got a little teary as they hugged. It was a nice moment.
She blew out candles on her lemon muffins
She hugged all of her friends and ate chips and laughed and talked
She opened many thoughtful gifts from all her wonderful friends
Carly put together a "how well do you know Rachel" quiz that they all had to answer. They reviewed the answers together and Carly had a candy bar prize for the winner.
They played frisbee outside and just hung out and talked and laughed and were teenagers.
Afterwards Rachel said it was the best party ever and admitted that part of the reason she hadn't wanted a party for the last few years was because she gets so stressed about who will come and what will happen at the party during the planning stages that she just doesn't feel it's worth it to feel so anxious.
With this party she got all the fun and none of the planning anxiety. That all fell to Carly and I. Mostly Carly!
Carly's birthday a few days later was quiet and small comparatively. She had a big blowout last year for her 16th bday if you'll recall.
She requested an ice cream cake so that was super easy. Crushed up some oreos and layered them with vanilla ice cream in a spring-form pan and voila! Ice cream cake.
I did make a small one just for her that no one could touch and she could eat as quickly or as slowly as she wanted. She made it last a few days.
Orem City always generously provides fireworks the week of Carly's birthday and this year right on her birthday so we walked over to the hospital grounds after cake and watched the fireworks go off.
Then home to bed.
The end.
....til next year.
4 comments:
I adore Rachel (as I do Carly) and hate the thought of ANYONE abusing her friendship. Her face says it all here in your pictures! I'm delighted she had such a good birthday. Carly is a gem! I can't believe she is 17 already. How did that happen so quickly?
I love your girls, they are ALWAYS gushing with goodness. What a sweet Carly. Whether they know it now or not, someday they will be best friends.
I love this story. Love those girls!
They may have teared up a little bit but I'm tearing up a lot!
Post a Comment