Friday, August 5, 2011

Beef and Broccoli

This is one of our favorite dinners when London broil and Broccoli are on sale. Yum. I have adapted it to our tastes from a ward cookbook from our newlywed ward in Palm Desert California.

Beef & Broccoli



1 1/2 -2 lbs London Broil 2 med. onions, chopped 3/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C sugar + 1-2 T, divided 3 T oil + 1tsp, divided garlic salt
ginger 2-3 large bunches broccoli 4 C rice
8 Cups water 2 T cornstarch dissolved in 1 C water or beef broth

1. Slice meat thinly, place in container w/tight fitting lid.
2. chop onion. Can be small dices or big chunks, personal preference. Add to meat.
3. sprinkle meat/onion with garlic salt. Add a pinch of ginger powder. (I don't like a lot of ginger flavor so I don't add much. If you do... add more!)
4. Combine soy sauce, 1/4 C sugar, 2 T oil. Pour over meat/onions.
5. You can start this marinating the night before or just before you prepare broccoli and rice.
6. Start Rice. Bring 8 C water to boil. Add rice. Boil hard 3 minues. Cover, reduce heat to low and cover. Set timer for 25 minutes.
7. Start trimming broccoli. I cut florets smallish and I love the stalks so I strip the outer tough layer off the stalk and then chop the rest in bite size pieces. Put 1 tsp oil in pan, get it very hot. Pour trimmed broccoli in and sprinkle with 1 T sugar. Stir well and sprinkle with more sugar if desired( 1 T). Stir around til turns bright green, maybe 30 seconds. Pour 1 C water into pan and cover with lid. Let steam for a couple minutes and remove when tender crisp. Put broccoli in serving dish.
8. Put 1-2 tsp oil in large skillet. Drain off marinade from meat/onion and save. Put meat/onions in skillet. Cook til meat is done and onions carmelized. Add reserved marinade and let boil a couple minutes. Add 1 Cup water or broth with 2 T Cornstarch dissolved in it and simmer til thick. Pour over broccoli and stir well. Serve with hot cooked rice.


Feeds our family of 7 easily


No comments: