Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Clone trooper and the superfluous use of exclamation points!!

So this was Jacob's costume.  We looked on the internet so I could determine exactly what it was he was talking about.  I had never heard of a "clone trooper".  I had heard of "storm troopers" but this clone trooper thing was new.  There are apparently several different types of clone trooper with different colors on the costume signifying different ranks, jobs, etc.  This blue one was my favorite one. ( I especially liked the little skirty..ahem... kilty thing around the waist.  Hey boys need a little modesty too when they're wearing white costumes)  It is the "Captain Rex" clone trooper.  We found it at the beginning of October at Halloween USA just down the street from us.  He was soooo excited.  I made him keep it in my room so it wouldn't get "accidently worn" so often it was ruined by Halloween.  Now that the big day is over, it's all his.  He can dress up to his heart's content.  I think he looks pretty cute.  
And very very serious about saving the empire..
and then just dang cute again!

This next part might only be of interest to grandmas, Papa's, uncles and aunties.  He wrote a story for school.  It was supposed to be a "scary story" and they were to get it edited and published in time for Halloween so they could read it to the class that day.  On Thursday night he was very stressed out about getting his story finished.  He was a little behind because he had written so much.  His rough draft was 15 pages.  He could either write it out nicely or type it.  So upon being begged, I agreed to type it for him as he read it off to me.  I thought it turned out pretty good.  He has some good detail and I especially like his idea to end it with an epilogue.  He is quite proud of it.  So if you want to read a 4th grade spooky story here it is-- ( oh and during the typing process, I seriously talked him OUT of a few exclamation points.  It was like pulling teeth. Eventually I stopped trying.  It's his story.  It's 4th grade and dang it! the story is! super! exciting!!!)

This morning he added a couple of "wows!" in appropriate places so he could submitt it to the national PTA Reflections arts contest. The theme is "wow". I think it fits. Dont you?

The Lost Church

One time my mom yelled up the stairs and said “Hey Jake!” I called back “Yeah?”  Then she said back, “We’re going to go to Germany to visit your grandparents!”  “Aww Mom!” I called back, “come on it’ll be fun!  Besides we’re going on Halloween eve!” my mom said back “I don’t want to go mom!”  “They have a big neighborhood!  You can get lots of candy!”  I hesitated “well I guess it will be okay.”  My mom smiled.  “We’re going tomorrow morning so get packed!”  I dashed down to the basement and I grabbed my suitcase off the basement shelf and I flew up to my room.  I opened my door and dashed to my dresser and I hauled my drawers open and seized 5 pairs of underwear, 7 pairs of pants, 3 shorts, 7 t-shirts, 8 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of jeans and 4 pairs of shoes.  i folded them neatly and tucked them in an orderly way.  Then I remembered the reason why we were going.  “My Halloween costume!” I said with bright eyes.  How could I forget I said to myself as I ran into my moms room.  I plucked my Obi Wan Conobi costume and scurried back to my room and put it in a little pocket in the front of my suitcase then my mom yelled up “You packed?”   “Yeah!” I yelled back “You want to go out for dinner tonight and get some ice cream?” My mom called back up the stairs.  “Oh yeah!” I yelled back “Then lets get moving, hop in the car!” I scurried down the stairs and I said to my mom while we were walking out the door “don’t you need to pack?”  “I already did.” she said smiling.  Then I went in the van and we drove to Olive Garden.  When we got there we first paid, went to our table, ordered, and then ate.  My mom got eggplant parmesan and I got spaghetti.  Then we went to Arctic Circle and got ice cream. I got a twist and my mom got vanilla.  Then we got back in the van and hurried to the airport.  We waited for three hours!  Then finally we were loading on a plane to Germany.  Then we took our seats in first class.  It was awesome!  We even got a one hour massage!  Then after seven hours we got to Germany.  Then my grandparents came 15 minutes later and picked us up at 9:35 am.  Then my grandparents came to their house.  It was huge!  It had 10 bedrooms, a kitchen as big as our family room that was 20 feet long and 10 feet wide.  Their family room was as big as our classroom, and 7 staircases.  Guess what? They even had a WII, Xbox 360, Gameboy, Lego rom, and every video game you could imagine!  It was magnificent!  They had even got me a laptop!  The house was clean, nice, and looked like it was just built.  My mom and me were dead quiet and astonished!  My grandma led us room to room and their backyard had all the equipment you could think of, even a waterpark, a big park and a huge garden! It was even a hundred square miles wide and long.  I was so astonished I wanted to stay here forever.  I also thought I would have so much fun staying here for a month!  “I wish I could live here” I said aloud.  My grandma chuckled.  “You can when you’re older.”  My mouth dropped open.  “Really!” I said.  Then my grandma said, “sure, as long as you take care of everything.”  “You bet I will!” I said back.  “Good, now which room do you want to stay in?”  “I’ll think I’ll stay in the room 8.”  (It used to be a hotel but when she retired she added all the fancy stuff)  Then my mom said “Where’s grandpa?”  “He’s at work still” said grandma.  “Not for long” said a voice.  It was my grandpa pulling up the driveway in his Toyota truck.  Then we all went inside and ate lunch.  We had turkey sandwiches.  MMMMMMM!  After we ate my grandpa led us up the spiral stairs to room 9 and 8.  I flew in my room and flopped on the bed.  It was neat.  It was sparkling clean but I thought it would be pretty dusty because nobody lived in it but it was great.  When I flopped on my bed I felt something hard under my bed.  I got on my knees and looked under the bed.  There was this huge wooden chest and when I opened the chest as big as my bed I found every toy that I liked plus some barbies for girls that would visit I guess.  It even had a big screen T.V.! Then I ran down stairs and out the back door to the water park and started to play. I went on all the rides  then I saw over a hedge a little forest in the distance,” I’ll explore it tomorrow after I go trick or treating.” I said aloud.    

Then my grandpa yelled “dinner!” Then I ran in the house and flew up stairs and pulled on dry clothes. The next day Halloween I made two friends Shelly,Dain and Nick.They were astonished with everything my grandparents had.  They loved the waterpark and pool and Shelly loved the garden.  (I wasn’t really surprised)  Then at 6pm we asked our moms if we could go trick or treating together in a group and they all said “yes”.  Then we all met in an old tree house I found in the woods.  Then when all our moms said yes we all went to grab our costumes and meet back there.  When we got our costumes on and we met at the tree I was Obi Wan Conobi, Dain was Anakin Skywalker, Obi Wan’s apprentice, and Shelly was Padme, Anakin’s girlfriend.  We were all surprised to be from the same movie.  Then we went into the woods and started exploring.  We found little wooden swords lying around.  We even found a bombing shelter!  “It must be my grandpa’s”,  I said to them.  As we turned on the light and went down there was food, blankets, an oven and water.  It looked like their kitchen, it was even as big as their kitchen!  And then I went back up because I thought I heard my mom yelling for me.  I started walking back when I slipped and fell into a hole covered with leaves and brush.  Then I fell down, down, down.  I hit the ground with a large painful thud!  Then I got up very slowly, rubbing my back and bum.  Then I found out that the floor was made out of cement!?  Then I heard the wind and the rustle of leaves behind me.  Then I slowly turned around and before my eyes made of pure scorched black stone was a medieval church!  It was covered in cobwebs and it had bones everywhere!  And at the entrance I could see skeletons lying by it holding the doors to make them open.  One skeleton had a brown cloak, a rope around it’s waist and big hood. I was pretty sure it was a monk.  Then I silently, like a mouse, tiptoed into a room I supposed was the primary room and then I saw 7 golden crosses lying near a golden stand and another monk skeleton reaching out, standing on it, like he was preaching.   (Which he probably was.)  Before my eyes, scattered about the room, were Bibles lying open and a rusty old piano in a corner, covered in cobwebs, like everything else.  My eyes went bugged out as I looked at 20 different skeletons of children with clothes rotting away.  Then I cautiously speedwalked into the sacrament room and as I saw this the hairs on my legs, back, head and arms stood up like a spiked club.  The sacrament was passing in mid air!!!!! And it was passing to skeletons sitting in scorched, black, wooden chairs.  I saw a couple of skeletons of dogs chained to the wall.  In all the skeletons they had arrows, daggers and swords in them!  Then I hustled, scared to death, into what I thought was the young women’s room and just like the primary room, there were Bibles and golden crosses covered in dust and scorched black bones and then as I was looking around I saw the skeletons start to move!!!  My hair stood up like I got electrocuted.  Then I broke into a breathtaking dash and while I was running in the hall saying to myself it didn’t happen I tripped and a dagger stabbed my leg!  I stumbled painfully into the young men’s room.  I took the dagger out, blood streaming from the wound and then skeletons, pearl white, with arrows in them all started walking toward me.  Then I ran as fast as I could with my leg. Then my head smacked a shield and I fell to the floor and my eyes felt dizzy.  Then I woke up with the sun streaming through my bedroom window and then I saw my mom leaning over me.  “Are you okay?” my mom asked.  “yeah, I think so”, I said back, groaning.  Then Shelly and Dain walked in, “Hey Jake!” they said cheerfully.  “We found you unconscious, lying near a hole, sprawled out and your leg was really hurt like you got hurt by an arrow or something”, said Dain.  Then Shelly said “you’ve been unconscious for 3 hours.  We trick or treated for you, if you dont’ mind.  We got you some candy.”  


20 years later......

On Channel 5 news....


Thank you Sandy for discussing the weather.  Now! on Channel 5 news, we bring you the story of Jacob Bocanegra, famous archeologist, who found the lost church of Churu with the story he has told about since he was 9 yrs old that he fell into a hole and went into the church.  Many people believed it was just a story from a big imagination but now people know it’s real because he showed us what he saw and we found the bloodstained dagger that had pierced his leg 20 years ago.  


THE END!

by Jacob Bocanegra






6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, it's so good I don't know where to start, but I have a lot to comment on, so here I go:

Aw, do we HAVE to go to Germany? I just wanted to stay home & watch T.V.

dashed, flew, hauled, seized - LOVE IT!

I like the Chuck-O-Rama inspired Olive Garden where you pay first.

Mom & Dad, I hope you don't feel bad that your house is not quite up to your oldest grandson's dreams. All you need is a waterpark (although you do have that slide Jacob tried last year), The Black Forest, a wii and a chest with toys, Barbies & a T.V. in every guest room.

There's so much I love about the medeival church: the bones, the crosses, the primary room. I've been in a few churches and monestaries like that - with piles of bones everywhere - when I was in Israel.

& the last line is SO Jacob - "Many people believed it was just a story from a big imagination but now people know it’s real." I wonder what big windies he'll prove to us in the future...

Thanks for sharing this Jamie! He is a good writer - gets it from his mom.

Matthew said...

Whoa! A bloodstained dagger! Wow!

I never saw that coming.

My favorite line:

“Hey Jake!” I called back “Yeah?” Then she said back, “We’re going to go to Germany to visit your grandparents!” “Aww Mom!” I called back, “come on it’ll be fun!..."

Surprise, we're going to Germany!

Jamie said...

I knew you two would read the story. and I know.. the primary room and young women's rooms with monks. funny huh. This sounded like Jacob's perfect day. Proving his stories and all the video games you could imagine! heaven.

Jennifer said...

I loved the mix of catholism and mormonism. Also he really used a lot of great words. I have a big smile on my face right now. The sad thing is David will never get through it!

Judy said...

I read Jacob's story all the way through and was engrossed enough to want to see the outcome! Jacob is a good writer and I LOVED the details. Hah - all those clothes he neatly packed and seven golden crosses and bibles laying all around. Very creative.

Christy said...

Sorry, I've been with David on this. Way too long for me to get through....but being the fabulous aunt I am, I did finally read it. (I'm back to work after going to Disneyland and needed to ease into the actual WORK part of work) Great story! Fabulous use of punctuation! Sorry we don't live in Germany! Quite the storyline! He has a fabulous imagination! Maybe he should read the B.O.M. a little slower next time-just to get the details!!!