Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Almost Long Enough To Be A Walk Down Memory Lane.



Saw this on my friend Amy's blog and thought it would be fun. I'm not tagging anyone but I'd love to see your answers if you should feel so inclined to post.  

***20 YEARS AGO (1989)***

This picture is from 1989 but not til the fall when I attended Ricks College and found a best friend in this adorable girl with the biggest bangs I'd ever seen (Forgive me sharla...)  She doesn't even have bangs today! but she's still adorable.

1) How old were you? barely 17

2) Who were you dating? Blond, Blue eyed Frankie with the lowered truck.(such a lame thing to do to a perfectly good truck)  He was the love of my high school years.  We might have just broken up by March... not sure.  We got back together later. oh! The drama.
3) Where did you work?  I worked at my Dad's animal hospital: part secretary, part floor mopper/cage cleaner and once or twice a week I taught an aerobics class for $10 a class and free gym membership fees.
4) Where did you live? Yucca Valley, California
5) Where did you hang out?  Maxwell street pizza, Del Taco, random people's houses...

6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? nope
7) Who were your best friends? Christy, Chrissy, Katy, Jeni, Deneen, David
8) How many tattoos did you have? None
9) How many piercings did you have? 4, double-pierced ears.  There was a brief time, about 2 days, when I had a 5th piercing (3 in one ear) just to get my dad going.  As soon as he saw it, I took it out.  
10) What kind of car did you drive? Shared with my sister an 80something maroon Nissan Sentra 4 door hatchback
11) Had you been to a real party? Yes
12) Had you had your heart broken? yes.  
13) Were you Single/Dating/Taken/Married/Divorced? dating

***15 YEARS AGO (1994)***

1) How old were you? 22

2) Who were you dating?  Mark 

3) Where did you work? Secretary for  Chemdry Miracle
4) Where did you live? Palm Desert California
5) Where did you hang out? At Patty and Paul's house.  It was the best "couple's friendship" ever.  We had so much fun.  I have no doubt we'd still be hanging out but Patti passed away in 1994.  At home with Mark.  Restaurants... we liked to eat out a lot back in the day.  El Gallito,Las consuelas, Ihop, Friday's, Humphrey yogart's & we spent a lot of time during that time at lamaze class....
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? Nope
7) Who were your best friends? Steve & lana, David & Starr, Patti & Paul.
8) How many tattoos did you have? None
9) How many piercings did you have? Just down to 2 by now!
10) What kind of car did you drive? My favorite car I ever owned! A black Mazda Protege with a sunroof. I loved that little car.  It made it until we had Carly, Rachel & little Jacob in the backseat of that little car.  We left the house to go to walmart and came home with our minivan... the same one we have today.  It's getting a little decrepit, but it's paid for......
11) Had you been to a real party? yes, this is kind of a lame question.  I have a feeling whoever started this means by "real" party a drinking party but those are the lamest parties ever.  People get drunk and act stupid.  I was never a drinker so I got pretty bored by the time that started happening and then I had to drive everyone home.  Good times.  By this time in my life the "real" parties I was going to were more "real".  They were about celebration and having fun together without throwing up and being stupid.  Much better. I know I had more fun than the ones when I was 17.
12) Had you had your heart broken? Yes
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Married to Mark 2 years
14) Any kids? Carly was on her way... She would be born in 3 months

***10 YEARS AGO (1999)***
1) How old were you? 27
2) Who were you dating?  Mark
3) Where did you work? At home doing medical Transcription but was soon to make the transition to answering phones at home for our newly acquired chemdry Franchise in Ogden.
4) Where did you live? Brigham City, utah
5) Where did you hang out? pretty much at home.  We had just moved on Feb 1st and didn't know too many people.  
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? No
7) Who were your best friends? Mark, Carly and Rachel...  I would soon add my new fabulous neighbors Amy, Cecile and Allison
8) How many tattoos did you have? None
9) How many piercings did you have? 2
10) What kind of car did you drive? Mazda Protege
11) Had you been to a real party? My "real" parties at this stage were my kids birthday parties.  I always had fun doing parties for them and ward parties, also fun!!!!
12) Had you had your heart broken? Yes
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Still Married to Markie Mark
14) Any kids? Yes--- Carly, Rachel and Jacob was on his way.

***TODAY (2009)***
1) How old are you?  37
2) Who are you dating? Mark
3) Where do you work? Geneva Elementary, part time teacher's aide and star reading tutor.
4) Where do you live? Orem
5) Where do you hang out? At home! 
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? Still NO!! yea! (but I'm worried, I have to hold the medicine jars with the small print far away and squint... sigh....)
7) Who are your best friends?  Julie, Wendy, Amy, Karen, Melissa, Amanda, Karla, My mom and my sisters! 
8) How many tattoos do you have? Still none
9) How many piercings do you have? 2
10) What kind of car do you drive? '98 Ford minivan, can't remember the name just now
11) Have you been to a real party? Tupperware, Pampered Chef count???? :) Snowman parties, bday parties, ward parties, sac parties... They're all real to me!
12) Had you had your heart broken? Twenty years later, that's an interesting question. It's broken many times and in far different ways than I expected when I was almost 17. I thought only boys could break you---man was I wrong! 

(This is Amy's answer but I like it and so I'm stealing it.  She said it well.  And, honestly, it's a good thing, right?  Painful,  but creating opportunities for growth?  Moments when God can teach us and heal us and help us create newness from the break.  When our hearts have been broken are we not more compassionate, more understanding, to others?)
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Still Married
14) Any kids? 5 great ones!!!!!

3 comments:

Sharla said...

JAMIE!!! I really can't be too upset, can I -- those were some BIG bangs!! Whew. I love the pic and your big drink of ice water - good days at Harmony House! I am so glad I still get slices of your life, now - 20 years later!! Love you, girlfriend!!

Amanda said...

I was mentioned! I can't tell you how excited I am about that. he he he

Seriously, though I had so much fun reading that. It is so crazy how much life changes. I do have to say those are some super BiG bangs. I can't say that I didn't sport some of those.

Julie said...

So yeah those bangs are pretty high, my sister had higher ones than that tho. Crazy huh! That was fun reading. I love reading your blog.