Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Apples, bananas and Tarantulas?????

Tangelo's have been on sale lately.  I hadn't had them in years but remembered liking them.  For anyone who doesn't know what they are, they are a cross between an orange and a tangerine.  They are easily recognized by the funny bump at the top that looks like an umbilical hernia.  They are very juicy and a little more tart than an orange.  Most of ours had seeds but some didn't.  My kids love them, especially Mason....   He just couldn't seem to get the name right and the first couple of days I was very confused when he asked me for a  juicy"Tarantula".  

UUUGGGGHHH!!!! WHAT????? Then he'd pick up a tangelo.  Ohhhhhh.... 

Even this kid, who opposes just about everything labeled "fruit" or "vegetable", likes them.  He has had to have "No-Thank-You helpings" over the years and he now likes apples, grapes, canned pineapple and mandarin oranges & cantaloupe but still won't eat bananas, regular oranges or strawberries.  crazy huh?   He manages to gag down a helping of green beans and broccoli or whatever vegetable we have at dinner but it's a trial in his young life.  We often find his veggies in interesting places if we haven't been watching him closely enough.... 

artfully hidden behind pictures on the bookshelf wall in the dining room, between the fruit bowl and the microwave, in the bathroom trash can  (the ol' stuff your face and excuse yourself to the bathroom trick) and my favorite, flung on the very top of the bookshelf wall.  That took quite an arm!  

It's always happy to find a new food that Jacob enjoys that is not cereal or bread or meat or dessert.  

Here's to Tarantulas!!! err.. I mean Tangelos!!!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm not so sure I like your title to your post. Now I will probably have a spider dream tonight and it will be all your fault. Ha Ha! Now all I see in my head are Tarantulas. Yikes!!!! I hate spiders! I might be afraid to eat apples and bananas now. NICE!!!