Jacob has been looking for something to cook for a while that can be "his thing". Carly makes "Carly's famous chocolate chip cookies". Rachel makes "RFP" a.k.a. Rachel's famous popcorn. We finally hit on something productive that can be his own....
"Jacob's perfect pancakes"
I made a master mix from my old, hand-me-down "Make-a-mix" cookbooks. (Thanks mom)
and he helped me do it. Then we tried out the pancakes. They are really good. Mark was ever skeptical but was won over after the first bite. Whew....
We found that our family requires a triple batch! We are 7. We are hungry.
He's very good at mixing, measuring and pouring.

But.....

He's

even

better

at
flipping.

Now Samantha's jealous... She wants to learn to make pancakes but I need to let it be Jacob's thing for a while.... I've got to find her something to cook but for now she's got her Sunday stations. It will have to sustain her til I find the perfect Samantha specialty. By the time Mason's ready for a specialty, Carly will be off to College and we'll teach him how to make her chocolate chip cookies. Oh man.. Now I made myself cry. I don't want to think about her going off to college....
Pancake Mix:
10 C flour (I used 1/2 White and 1/2 Whole wheat)
2 1/2 C instant dry milk powder
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C baking powder
2 T salt
Perfect Pancakes:
1 1/2 C pancake mix
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 C water
3 T veg. oil
Whisk all ingredients together. Add more water if a thinner pancake is desired. Let batter stand for 5 minutes. Cook on a hot, oiled griddle until browned on both sides. Makes 10 4 inch pancakes.
The master mix:
7 comments:
mmmmmm....we love pancakes. I make them nearly every Sunday morning! I love that Jacob can make them. It's good for them to have their thing. I'm in the process of teaching my Bigs how to make one dinner each. Something simple, of course, but something I always have the stuff on hand for.
I'm also trying to teach Kendell how to make one dinner, but so far that hasn't taken.
Sigh.
PS, you can share my secret ingredient with Jacob: a tsp of vanilla in the pancakes makes them even yummier! (I would think one teaspoon in the tripled batch would be perfect.)
You're too cute Jamie!! It's cute that your kids all have their specialty things!! Sad to think of Carly being gone by the time Mason can help...just don't think about it!! I think Jacob is better then me at flipping pancakes!! Good job!!!
They look delicious!!! Yummy, maybe next time I come for 2 weeks Jacob can be in charge of breakfasts!!
Maybe Sammy can be in charge of tampico popsicles or rice krispy treats?
Oh, and thanks for the Birthday pancakes. I tried to call you yesterday to say thanks, but you were out. Carly (she doesn't sound like a kid on the phone anymore. You're right to start getting wistful and think about the future when she'll be off to college) said that you had your phone on you but I didn't call.
Good job, Jacob, on being the pancake man. Now that you have mastered perfect pancakes 1.0 it may be time to move on to apple pancakes. Make a star shape with apple slices, pour pancake batter on top, let it cook and then... flip.
Word verification: penaleg. "My mom has a penaleg."
Okay Carly, I want to try some of your famous chocolate chip cookies. One sounds so good right now...okay like 3 of them. A fun thing to do when you are bored is make me cookies. Hey, you would not be bored anymore. Hey, we could trade and make each other ones. Hmmm... Samantha could do something chocolate for her thing. I know... chocolate covered strawberries. That's a really good one and it's fun and she could do that when she gets bored, like right about now and then I could.... taste them and make sure they are good. Come on... try it.
I love you, Jamie.
You made me cry, ever so briefly.
Nice going Jacob! I have a few here that are wanting to cook. One seems to only get in the way, and last time she tried helping, she burned her finger really bad, HUGE blister... Poor Amber, she needs to just stay off those chairs and wait for a few more years. Due to her finger burning episode, my Manicotti I was cooking was pretty much ruined, the noodles stood WAY too long in the water as I took to my poor baby with a blistered finger. Thanks for the new recipe.... and all the others I got from you too. I do have one I REALLY want, and that is the lemon tarts you made for Wendy's shower. Those were SOOOO good! I think I could eat the whole batch just by myself. I will have to be sure to make them when there are plenty of people around so I don't go too crazy and eat them all. :P Miss ya!
Post a Comment