Tart shells:
1 C butter 1/2 C powdered sugar 2 C flour
Cream butter and sugar, add flour and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls and place in mini muffin tins. Use tart shaper, dipped in flour each time, to press ball into shell shape. I dip the tart shaper in flour, press down and wiggle from side to side to try to get the dough to come evenly up the sides. It will stick if you don't use the flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes and carefully remove from pans. Makes approx. 3 dozen shells.
Lemon filling:
#1. Beat 3 egg yolks. Set aside
#2. Combine in heavy pan: 1 C sugar, 1/4 C cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt & 2/3 C cold water: Mix til smooth.
#3. Add 2/3 C boiling water to #2 mixture. Turn heat onto high and cook, stirring constantly, til clear and thick. Cook 3 more min.
#4. Add egg yolks and stir continually
#5. Add 1 T butter, 1/4 C lemon juice (that is usually the juice from one good sized lemon), 1 tsp lemon extract: Cook and stir one minute.
Pour immediately into tart shells.
For best results: You will want to make these pretty close to the time you'll be serving them. They need to be refrigerated if you're keeping them longer than a couple hours out. The tart shells get a little soft but they're still good.
I make these every Thanksgiving for my family and often at Christmas time too. My mom and my sister, Christy use this filling to make Lemon Meringue pie which is my Dad's favorite. I don't really like the meringue and I don't really like pie crust so I never did... that is until I found this shortbread tart recipe. It really, really, REALLY makes me happy.
5 comments:
OK...question. Is a tart shaper a common thing? Do they have them at, say, Target? I really want to make these! I made lemon curd (very similar to the lemon tart filling here) on st. Patrick's day as a filling for the lemon cake I made (all dyed green, of course) and I can't stop thinking about how delicious it was and how I want to make more & more & more. Lemon tarts are just the thing! So...clue me in on the tart shaper! Please???
I got mine from pampered chef for like $3. It's a little wooden thing. I've never looked anywhere else. I suppose you could use the top of a water bottle but I'm going to post a link to show you what it looks like....
Jamie,
Matthew is having a pampered chef catalo party if Amy wants to get one, I'm sure he'd be happy to add her order.
Love the tart shaper-so easy to use`
These tarts ARE to die for. I keep meaning to make some, but I live alone, so making these just on a whim is a REALLY bad idea. I need an excuse to bring treats to something/someone.
Nice! Thanks so much... I am sure to make this in the near future, maybe I should invest the $3 in a tart shaper, as I don't have one and I like little tools like that.... Rob says I have too many!
Post a Comment