Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just call me The *Recess Lady...

Complete with orange vest, my own whistle, a pocket of bandaids and another pocket full of hall passes. That's me... super cool *Recess Lady. I also get to hang on to several colored flags which I wave according to times and bells. 6th /5th grade: purple flag..... 4th grade: blue flag and so on...  

Mark keeps talking gleefully about coming to get a picture of me in my orange pockety vest for the blog. ( Like he thinks I would actually post it...... ha! )

Honestly... I never saw the *Recess Lady in me. It's definitely not a dream I had as a child.

My boss asked me if I would be willing to add an extra hour to my schedule. I asked Mason if he'd like to eat in the cafeteria with his lunchbox every day and have time to play on the playground before Kindergarten starts and he was all for it. No qualms. None. So I said ok. However it was sunny and warm when I said yes last week. It snowed yesterday. It was pretty cold out there. My nose and fingers were like ice but the rest of me was fine.

Tuesday: Day one as *Recess Lady
I gave out 3 hall passes.  
1. bumped head from falling on the slide
2. kid who cut his heel yesterday thinks it opened back up (ick) and is supported by 2 good friends who help him limp to the office with his arms around their shoulders
3. A skinned knee'd 1st grader supported by her 2nd grade sister (I know... sweet! )

I told several boys several times "we go down the slide on our pockets not our tummies!" and "no climbing up the slides".  

I was followed around the 1st 30 minutes by a pretty smiling 5th grade girl who until that recess was a stranger to me and who spoke very little in response to my "getting to know you queries"  I thought maybe she didn't speak much English.  I found out later she is fluent but struggles to communicate.

Wednesday: Day 2 as Recess Lady:
I gave out 2 hall passes
1. forgotten sweater
2. a boy scratching the nasty bumpy rash covering his arms to the point of blood streaming down one of them... ick.  He says he thinks he has bed bugs.  double ick.  I hope it's an allergy to his laundry detergent... 

I also heard these words from my 4th grade son "I'm glad you were here today as the *Recess Lady".  (I saw him standing alone and went to talk to him.  Some kids were bugging him about a girl who likes him and he was getting angry so went away to be alone to cool off.  He talked to me about it and seemed better after)

I get lots of smiles from kids who know me.  I get lots of hugs from kids who know me.  I get lots of smiles & hugs from my own little munchkins.  It was warmer today.  

*notice the capitalization every time I write Recess Lady?  (well of course you do.. I pointed it out with a little star! )  That is because that is my official title it seems.  Even the kids that know me as  Mrs. B because I work in their classroom every day call me "Recess Lady" on the playground.  I think that is a little weird.  

12 comments:

Julie said...

Okay thats it! If Mark can't get a picture of you then I will. Ha Ha! WOW! Recess Lady. That deserves a capital letter. I bet all the kids love you to death. I'll trade ya. Ha ha

Emily said...

Way to embrace your inner Recess Lady. Don't even think I'm poking fun, because there just might be a Recess Lady hidden deep inside me that may find her way out someday. Although, I think I'll leave recess duty to my husband. He is definitely a recess guy & loves it.

(the little 5th grade girl following you around - sweet. & the boy with the rash - gross.)

Amy Sorensen said...

So, does Jake call you Sister Recess Lady??? ;) I'm glad it is working out for you and, like Julie said, I know the kids love you. Kaleb asks me all the time when he can go to "Mason's Mommy's house." There's another great title for you!

Mom and Dad said...

You are the cutest sweetest most wonderful RECESS LADY I've ever known. Luck and love to you. Mom

Wrd Ver: breatein You may get breatein but never broke!

Jamie said...

I haven't actually seen Jake because I work the playground side with the younger kids.... They're working me in slowly. They don't want to throw me in with the 5-6th grade sharks and scare me off the playground but somehow I dont' think he would.... I think I'd always be Sister B to him.
:) love that kid!

oh and here's a great title for you... When we lived in Brigham city Rachel called our neighbors
"sister Wight and Brother Sister Wight" not sure how much "Brother Wight" liked that...

Jennifer said...

I'd rather be the "recess lady" rather than the "Lunch Lady" Kids here call our recess ladies, duty guards

Julie said...

I got a picture of you decked out in your orange vest when you were not looking. Ha Ha!

Jamie said...

It better not show up on YOUR blog!!!!

Wendy said...

You are darling, I hope you know.

We called Recess Ladies "Yard Duty" where I went to school. Recess Lady is much better.

I want to see the picture.

Matthew said...

Jamie,
Welcome to the world of recess!

I've been doing lunch recess duty at one of my schools for the last two years. I have to work another half hour before or after the school day to make sure I'm not double-dipping. I get a free lunch and I get to hang out with the "good" kids for an hour. I LOVE it. In fact, it's the best part of my day.

If you want some pointers on Recess Lady-ing, I'm dang-near an expert!

Matthew

Jamie said...

bring on the pointers. I'll take any you have to give

Jennifer said...

Get a whistle. That is my tip. You blow that baby and it shuts everything down and you can usually stop any shenanigans.