Sunday, November 22, 2009

extra kindness

We had another rough night in the ER with kidney stones. I've stopped blogging about the kidney stones because they are becoming so commonplace. Going to the ER is not so novel anymore, it's run of the mill. Mark's had 7 or 8 episodes since that first one on Mother's day this year. It's sad that I'm not even sure. I've lost count. 7 or 8.... maybe it's 6. Maybe it's 9. Who knows.

And the only reason I mention it now is because it's directly related to what I really want to talk about, and that is kindness. Extra kindness. That kindness that comes when you go asking for help, for kindness, from people you know will help and then they go a step further and offer more. Humbling you, making you cry and feel especially loved and watched over. A reminder that angels are not only in heaven.

Extra Kindness #1
The pain started as we were doing some grocery shopping in Smiths around 5:30pm yesterday. Mark complained his back was starting to hurt. At 6:30 when I was coming home from going back to Smiths to get the bag of groceries the bagger forgot to put in our cart, Carly called me saying Mark was in bad shape and when would I be home. We found ourselves in the ER shortly thereafter. It happened so fast. He was in so much pain, worse than ever before. Through his pain, responsible man that he is, he remembered about a meeting he had in the morning with a member of the stake presidency. He asked me to call him and indicate he would not be able to make it. I did. This brother asked if there was anything he could do. I said no, thanked him for his concern. I hung up. A few minutes later found me calling him back saying yes, there was something he could do and asked if he'd be willing to find another priesthood holder and come to the hospital to give Mark a blessing. Of course he was willing. Of course he came.

At this point Mark had been in severe pain for 3 hours with no relief. We'd been to the instacare hoping for a cheaper avenue to resolve the pain. This had been a waste of time and money because they couldn't do much for him. We spent an hour there and he got 2 pain shots which didn't do a thing for him. We left $100 worth of Christmas presents in their cash register and went on to the ER where he'd now had 2 doses of pain medication through an IV and it still wasn't even taking the edge off his pain. I was feeling so anxious about so many things. The money, the pain, the fears that there's something more sinister going on than a kidney stone, that he's going to die and leave me alone. I know, not very rational thoughts but still they came.

The man that I called found another good man, a good friend of Mark's who he knew Mark would feel comfortable with in his vulnerable position and they came and put their hands upon his head, anointed him with oil and gave him a priesthood blessing. A kindness that I had requested, that I very much appreciated. Then when the blessing was over and Mark was thanking them, he remembered some church business, something that he was responsible for and started discussing it with these brothers, wanting to make sure it was taken care of the next day and not forgotten. My hand flew to my face to stifle a laugh that in this state of horrible pain he would think of and worry about those he was responsible for. I don't know why it struck me as funny, just one of those little moments where I let the worry slip away and thought about all the reasons I love this man. And because I allowed that small release of emotion, I felt my tenuous hold over my tears slipping and tried to keep that in check because Mark needed me to be strong. I thought this slip was my own private moment. It happened quickly and I was able to get a hold of myself fairly quickly but as I moved my hand from my face I saw our friend looking at me with concern and he asked "would you like a blessing?". I felt a little silly, as I was not the one in pain, saying yes but I knew that I needed a blessing of peace and comfort. I needed some help. It was beautiful and strengthening and exactly what I needed to continue on. We were there for 3 more hours and back again this morning for an hour and through those long hours, over and over the words of the blessing would come back to comfort and strengthen me when I was feeling overwhelmed. It helped to replace my fear with Faith and I am grateful for the gift we have from our Heavenly Father of the priesthood power on the earth to heal and sustain and bring peace. And I'm grateful for the extra kindness of our friend to notice me and ask if I needed a blessing.

Extra kindness #2
I called my friend to say that I wouldn't be in church today but my kids would and would she mind sitting near them so if the little ones gave Carly any grief she could help keep them in line. My kids know her very well and we used to trade baby-sitting before we each had baby-sitting age daughters so they are used to minding her. This is the kindness I asked for and she agreed.

She then asked about after church, did I need her to take the kids then. Mark was still in a lot of pain and needing me close so I accepted this extra kindness. I answered that my older girls had choir practice and if she really didn't mind, it would help if the little kids stayed at her house til they were done and Carly and Rachel could walk them home and be able to help me with them. I called about the time I thought the girls should be done with choir practice and my friend answered, saying they were just sitting down to dinner and she'd feed them and then they could come home. Another extra kindness. With most of Mark's episodes I'm a little tired but mostly fine the next day but this one has been particularly stressful and I have had a terrible headache and just not felt myself today so not having to worry about the noise and dinner has been so helpful. Extra kindness. Extra love.

I have much to be Thankful for.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Jamie, Mark is in my prayers and so are you. I am so sorry you guys have to go through this.

The Jones :) said...

Jamie I'm sorry it happened again...I hope there's an end in sight soon. You are an amazing person and "angel" to others, so of course people will help you out. You are an great example to me and I truly admire you. Thank you for sharing this with everyone! Thinking of you and your family.

Amy Sorensen said...

I am sitting here in horror...I am SO SORRY for letting Nathan call to ask to play when you were dealing with this! I was clueless...I'm, oh, gah, I am SO sorry!

I can't offer to have your little ones come to my house yet, like I'd like to (because we are still keeping all kids except our own out of our house, out of fear of Kendell catching a cold/cough), but can I bring you dinner? Or anything else? Cookies? Your preferred comfort food? Groceries you are running low on? Really, really: please let me know if I can help.

It is HARD to be the nurse. It is hard to see them in pain and to have those "what if he is dying" fears. You will both be in my prayers. HUGS!

Jamie said...

amy do NOT be horrified. NAthan was here when everything was fine. I sent Nathan home at 5ish so we could go to the store and THAT is when it started so no worries. you hear me!!!! No worries. He, as always, was a joy to have around.

Julie said...

I thought something was different when I saw you driving down our street the other way right before church. And then i did not see you or Mark at church, just your kids. Then Carly told me what happened. I am so sorry you guys are going through this again. You are in a our prayers. Just know you can call on me to help anytime, I'm really good at making treats, I will do dinner, but treats are my specialty. Ha Ha! We are thinking of you and pray for both of you. Glad you got a blessing.

Emily said...

So sorry to read this Jamie! But happy for all the kind & thoughtful & Christlike people in your life. It makes such a difference doesn't it? Those are some special moments - thanks for sharing them. Makes me want to be better at that kind of thing.

I hope we'll see you soon!

word verification: bultappe, rhymes with bullcrap, as in, what kidneys stones & ER visits & co-pays are

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry Jamie and Mark. We love you and wish we could be there to help. You both have been so kind and thoughtful to us.

Love, Wendy

Stephanie Salmon said...

Jamie thank you so much for your comment!!! I am so excited for this next chapter in my life and I gotta admit, I would have been happy with either gender but I really did want a little girl!

Abby said...

This sure has turned into an ongoing nightmare. I admire your willingness to accept help. This time of year throws extra weight on ones mind anyway without dealing with illness. Sounds like you found a silver lining. I too think of everything as a Christmas gift. Our oven is acting up. What will it cost? What gift will have to go??? But yes, much to be thank ful for.

Amanda said...

Okay so I would have totally known that answer to my question if I would have read this post. I am so sorry for your troubles my amazing friend. I love you dearly, you are truly a sister to me. I am so grateful to all the wonderful angels/friends that their to wrap their arms around you. I miss seeing you & hope that you know I am constantly sending little hugs & prayers your way. Please feel free to call if you ever need anything.

Jenafer Lowe said...

Jamie, I have had your blog open now for three hours trying to put my thoughts together. David and I will be fasting tomorrow for Mark. My heart breaks for you and for the pain he has been in. I love each of you. I am so grateful that there are brothers and sisters near you to help when your Lowe Quality brothers and sisters can't. I remember when my Dad was ill how many tender moments my Mom and I had together. It strengthened our friendship into what it is today. I know how hard it is to accept help, please continue to allow others to give. I know that you do so much for others and work so hard; I can only imagine how exhausted you must be. Know that you are loved.

Judy said...

Jamie Hon, you and Mark are so well loved. It's hard to watch the refining fire stoke back up to high again, and know we can only help in small ways. I echo everything that's been said, and would do anything to help you and Mark. I called both temples and put your names in. I know that the Lord is extra mindful of you. Hang in there ... both of you ...