and it was more sweet than freaky.
Hmmm... This is quickly becoming the post where I told you I made Bakerella's Halloween cookies and then told you how I used a different cookie recipe and a different frosting recipe...
(But hang in there with me, I'm getting to the place where you see why it still works! )
I had a moment on Sunday morning when I felt Carly and I had momentarily reversed our mother /daughter roles. It happened just after I had gotten home from the hospital for the second time in 12 hours with Mark.
Carly had called me while I was at the hospital wondering when we were coming home. I was kind of short with her saying "I don't know" impatiently and then asking "why did she need to know" thinking she was calling because she wanted to not be in charge of the kids so she could do something she wanted to do. I was wrong of course. Very wrong. She said "well, I just wanted to make you breakfast and wondered when to start it." I felt very, very small.
When we walked in the door, she and Rachel were in the kitchen cooking and serving the 3 youngest their breakfast. I put Mark to bed and tried to get my bearings on what was left of the day, thinking about what needed to be done to get the children ready for church so I could go back to bed. She brought me a plate, a beautiful omelet with sauteed green peppers and cheese and salsa on the side. When she handed it to me I burst into tears of gratitude for her thoughtfulness and shame for my impatient response to her question on the phone and she enfolded me into a hug and stroked my hair. I held onto her and cried into her neck (the darn kid is taller than I am) and she forgave me and comforted me....
Just like my mom would have.
Just like I would have if it would have been her having a bad day.
extra kindness #3
I really, really, REALLY love her.
7 comments:
I am guitly of that impatient quick response and sometimes feel oh so small when the real reason comes through. You DO have great kids! But they also have great parents that taught them well. I hope all these darn stones pass and leave you guys out of the ER for the next 20 years or so!
That Carly is a wonder. I'm so glad you had her.
What great girls you have. Mark was in the hospital again????
Please give Carly an extra big hug for me and tell her I love her. She is such a wonderful young lady.
Wow. You raised a really good kid there, Jamie.
What Maury said -- Carly is a wonder.
She is a GREAT girl!
She's a keeper! I love that girl!
Post a Comment