Wednesday, November 25, 2009

For Grandpa Mike

Grandpa Mike gave Carly this piano on her 8th birthday. He is a piano tuner by trade and also dabbles in restoring pianos. He found this piano and brought it to Carly 7 years ago, before that we had a keyboard. A nice keyboard but a keyboard just the same. She was so delighted to have a real live piano to play on. Rachel took piano lessons also, until last year when she had piano, guitar and clarinet all going and it was time to give something up. She's never been passionate about piano the way she has become about her guitar, the way Carly is about her piano. I never have to remind Rachel to practice her guitar or remind Carly to practice the piano. Samantha takes lessons too and I think might follow in her big sister's footsteps. She seems to really enjoy playing as well.

I love hearing Carly doing these more difficult pieces. For her young women Personal Progress Faith project she spent 10 hours teaching herself hymns. I love to hear her sit and play on Sundays. Here is a recording of her playing Fur Elise by Beethoven. She loves this song and has spent many hours mastering/memorizing it. Enjoy gramps. She STILL loves that piano. Thank you so much.


4 comments:

Judy said...

WHOO-HOO! I GET TO BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT!!!! I'm usually behind a long string of people. :-) I love that piece of music and Carly that was VERY nicely played. How are you with Manheimm Steamroller? I may just invite myself over for a concert one of these days ... (with treats in hand, of course) ... thanks for the mini-concert via blog-space. :-)

Amanda said...

Simply amazing. I love to hear people play the piano. I have always wished that I could play. I am in favor of a concert as well. Can she play Claire Du Lune? It is my favorite.

GMDonna said...

Grandpa Mike says; I couldn't be more proud of you Carly. I had Grandma Donna play it over several times and I was still amazed every time. You must have worked very hard to master the music so perfectly. Follow your dream and keep perfecting your talent with music and songs you want to play, music that touches you heart, and don't worry about any music others think you should practice. Let your inner soul tell you what to work on and you'll always honor the Lord for the talent he blessed you with. I've tuned for many different kinds of piano players, and I can assure you, the happiest ones, the ones who are still playing and enjoying their musical talent, are the ones who play what their inner voice askes them too. That is the spirit of the Lord speaking to you. Follow it and you'll never go wrong. I do have a request, if it feels good to you. I would love to hear you and Rachel play some beautiful duets of your choosing. You both have a gift, as do the Osmonds. Develop it and you'll be forever blessed for it, if no other way than bringing the joy of music to others, and especially to your children, should you be so blessed to have and raise them. Keep up the good work and please share your successes with me whenever you feel good about it.
Love from Grandpa Mike.

Emily said...

Beautiful music, beautiful girl. I want to be like you someday Carly.