Monday, November 2, 2009

The Great pancake experiment of '09


Jacob has to do a science fair project this year for his new school. The teacher sent home a packet that outlined how he was to proceed in choosing a topic. She did NOT want him going to the library and checking out "101 science experiments for kids", which is exactly what I would have done...

He was supposed to go through this whole process of identifying the subjects he was interested in which were
1. medieval warfare
2. Baseball
3. cooking: more specifically, cooking pancakes
I wasn't quite sure how we were going to build several sets of armor of various thickness and metal types and check their durability against arrows, lances, maces, battle axes and broadswords.....
I did think there was some merit to seeing which kind of bat gave you an edge in distance hitting in baseball; metal or wood.
But I was greatly relieved when he decided that he wanted to see how the size or absence of eggs in pancake batter would affect the finished product.

That sounded like something I could easily help with.

We made 4 batters: no egg, small eggs, large eggs (the regular recipe) and extra large eggs
We mixed and measured very carefully
We measured batter thickness, ease of pouring...
As you might expect, the no egg batter was very thick and clumpy and not so easy to pour.
It made the ugliest pancakes

oddly enough, the small egg pancakes seemed to be the most popular. We could find VERY little difference between the batters and pancakes from the large and extra large eggs. They were almost exactly the same.

Now we just have to chart our findings and decorate a tri-fold board for the science fair.... I think that will be more work than the actual experiment.







6 comments:

Karla said...

That sounds like fun! Great job Jacob! Will this change the way you make your pancakes now?

Jacob said...

No not much, I will stick with the normal recipe. Every once in a while I might try a new experiment. I'll probably not really do the one with no eggs because no one really liked them but me and mason. mason and I liked everything.

Emily said...

Maybe next year you can do the armor experiment! Good job on the pancakes. I love science fairs.

Christy said...

Great experiment! sounds like "testing" the results was fun too.

Wendy said...

I can't believe how behind I am. Where did you find the small eggs (those were the blue/green eggs, right?)?

Jamie said...

I got them from my mom in so. utah.
her neighbor has chickens, geese and ducks.