Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Confessions

confession |kənˈfe sh ən|an admission or acknowledgment that one has done something that one is ashamed or embarrassed about

I really like playing spiritual music on Sunday. I think it makes it easier to keep my mind where it should be. However (here's the confession part...) I don't really like the MOTAB. shhhh....
I like them in conference. They fit. The music is beautiful. I just never enjoy listening to them outside of that setting. I feel really guilty about that. I have 2 friends who have been part of that amazing choir. I kept it a secret for a long time. Then I told my brother David in a shameful admission when he was visiting me once. I think I even whispered when I said it. He laughed at me. I thought we had an understanding. I thought he would keep my secret.....

I was wrong.

Last year I got a phone call from my parents. It was holiday time. Much of the family was assembled and if memory serves me correctly, David was getting heckled about something, I think it might have been his own "not a fan of the MOTAB admission, but to throw attention off of himself, he threw me under the bus by making the startling announcement "well, Jamie doesn't like the MOTAB!" shock and awe ensued. My parents were disbelieving. They called me. It went something like this "Jamie, David says you don't like the MOTAB but we know that's not true..."

They waited to hear my denial but I was tired of living a lie so I confessed. "It's true, I don't really enjoy them except in conference."
I could here them relating to the assembled family group "He's right... she doesn't" and David's triumphant crow of "I told you!! I told you!!!!"

My mother and father in hushed tones proclaimed "we thought we knew you..."
I sighed. "I'm still the same girl, really. can you still love me? even if our Sunday music tastes differ..."

It was a lot for them to handle but they are loving parents so they were able to set aside their disappointment and love me for who I really am: a girl who likes a little guitar and drums in her sunday music. A girl who likes nonLDS Christian artists as well as LDS artists.


Some of my favorite sunday music:
Amy Grant: we have several cd's but "the collection " and "legacy: hymns & faith" are 2 of my favorites
Cherie Call: She is a great local LDS artist. I have all her Cd's but my favorite is "he gives flowers to everyone"
Alan Jackson: "Precious memories"
"A child's prayer: primary songs for bedtime" is a compilation cd of primary songs that are sung by different local artists with different arrangements. It's absolutely beautiful.
Micheal Dowdle: accoustic guitar arrangements of primary songbook and hymns. The cd's are called "25 beloved hymns" and "25 beloved primary songs" It's soft and pretty.

What are your favorites?
I would love good reccommendations for gospel spirituals. ie. swing low sweet chariot, etc.

Now that I'm out of the Sunday Music closet I would also like to confess to anyone who knew me during my Rick's college years... I NEVER liked Afterglow!



12 comments:

Mark said...

Bring on Alan Jackson! He's the bomb!

Amanda said...

Phew! I thought that I was the only one. I, as well do not like MOTAB. In conference their great, in the conference center their better but at home it's not my first choice, in fact it is usually the last. I love 100 fm because they play a good mix of LDS vs. nonLDS christian music.

I don't care what anyone else says, before I knew this about you I thought I was an absolute spirtitual sinner waiting for my true conversion. Now I feel love accepted. Ahhh, bosom friends are the best! ;)

Jennifer said...

I must not have been there for that family moment, but I concur, I also only like MOTAB during conference.

Wendy said...

I used to not like MOTAB except for conference, but I have really enjoyed their music for some time now, especially since Mack Wilberg became the assistant director (and now is the director).

I like you anyway, Jamie. :)

I like the other stuff, too. Ds and I were singing "Give Me Oil In My Lamp" the other day while we were swinging outside.

I used to like Afterglow. Will you still be my friend?

Jamie said...

I will never judge anyone for their musical likes or dislikes. except heavy metal... I just can't find anything redeeming about the metal and I do secretly think something's wrong with you if you like it. more confessions. This is a big sunday for me. It's all personal taste right?

Emily said...

Jamie, Amanda, & Jennifer, you wicked Gentiles, the Motab rocks. Especially, like Wendy said, since Mack took the reigns. He is absolutely amazing and inspired and talented.

Unless, of course, your personal taste differs from mine... I guess you're right, it IS just personal taste. I still love you Jamie. At least we agree on Afterglow.

I have to ask, do you like their Christmas albums? That is my favorite Christmas music.

& if you're looking for some good gospel spirituals, the new Motab CD, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, is really cool, Alex Boye has an amazing solo in it (I Want Jesus to Walk with Me) that I really think you'd like, in spite of your prejudice. ;) I'll play it for you sometime if you promise to listen with an open heart.

(Sheesh - long comment! Good post!)

Christy said...

I do like the MOTAB, in conference and out-In a box, with a fox. I also like Cherie Call, Alan and Amy Grant. I do not like Afterglow or any of those "mormon pop" bands. I just feel they are trying way too hard. I do prefer something with more than just an organ for accompaniment.

Jenafer Lowe said...

I won't give you any Sunday music suggestions because I have been mocked in time passed by my future husband and future sister-in-law for my spiritual music tastes. Maybe sometime I'll leave my binder of church music at your house and you can feel free to burn any that you find intriguing. As long as you don't mock that which brings the spirit to my heart. ;)

Jennifer said...

I hate Afterglow! I think it is because the first roommates I had at Ricks loooooooooooooooved them and thought anyone who played anything, but was a sinner and would go directly to hell. Meanwhile they stayed out all night, sneaking in after curfew, not going to church, because they were too tired, because they stayed out too late. Fun times, fun times!

Amanda said...

Oh, crap! Not only am I doomed because I don't like MOTAB but there is something wrong with me. I love rock. In fact I am a fan of all genre's.

Jamie said...

well amanda if YOU Like the metal then there must be something redeeming about it and I'llhave to change my opinion to agree to disagree ...
nothing's wrong with you, just me for being judgy..:)

Mom and Dad said...

Hey remember I am the guy who played Statler Brothers Spiritual music, esp their How Great Thou Art number to set the mood for my Bishopric Mettings! Dad the music rebel as well!!