Sunday, November 15, 2009

Goggles: The new kitchen necessity

Rachel and Jacob hate it when I cut onions. Every time I fry hamburger for dinner, I cut up a whole onion to fry with it. Jacob's eyes are extremely sensitive to whatever the onion puts off that makes your eyes hurt. His eyes will hurt for a much longer time than anybody else. I know he's not faking here because he'll be gone to a friends house while I've fried onions, come home when it's all cleaned up and then start tearing up and ask "did you fry onions today?"

We try burning candles when we don't have our fans going. That seems to help. I try to remember to put the onion in the fridge an hour before cutting when I can but lets face it... I'm generally not that organized.

It's gotten better lately because with my work schedule, dinner has become more of a chore to get ready on time so I've taken to frying large quantities of Hamburger, with onion of course, and freezing it in one pound packages so I can just thaw it and dump in the recipe. It has helped soooo much.

Back to the goggles...
Rachel started the idea of putting on swimming goggles when I was cutting onions. Jacob knows a great idea when he sees one and he found a second pair and anytime I get out an onion and the knife he slips them on. I look up and there he is doing long division in goggles. It has really cut down on the whining in my kitchen so I'm grateful. However the goggles do make me giggle. It just looks so silly. Jacob keeps them in the kitchen drawer with my spatulas and pizza cutters. Just like any essential kitchen utensil.



Mason has taken the goggle wear a step further
It seems they are also essential
while whipping up a PB&J

You never know when a rogue blob of jelly is going to pop up and smack you right in the eye.







12 comments:

Karla said...

That is good! I look the idea of the goggles... I have tried many things while I am cutting onions. My eyes will burn until I can't even keep them opened, and then I am just chopping blind. I will have to invest in some googles too. Probably only for cutting onions though... although I could use them for other cooking purposes when the kids are fighting, that would draw their attention away from who is sitting too close to them. Love the goggles!

Christy said...

What a great idea Rachel! I see Mason has taken this to heart. When I was there a couple of summers ago, he wore a batman mask about 50% of the time I was there. I'd look up and Mason would be going about his business, but wearing Batman. It never failed to crack me up! Love you guys!

Christy said...

Does Mason ever where a shirt?

Maursupial said...

Awesome. Mason does love a good accessory.

Wendy said...

Dh found out that the burning comes from something in the onion mixing with the liquid in our eyes to form sulfuric acid--thus the burning!

I love Mason's attire!

Jamie said...

christy: not if he can help it......

Karen Brothersen said...

My eyes are VERY sensitive too! I will have to try the goggles!

Jenafer Lowe said...

Onions make my stomach burn so I understand! I <3 how Mason is often sans shirt. It makes me giggle. Cute boys, cute girls. Love those Bocanegra's!

Amy Sorensen said...

So funny! I love it!

If I'm wearing glasses when I cut onions, I always have to take them off, because the fumes sort of build up behind the lenses and make everything worse.

I've never considered goggles though! ;)

Amy Sorensen said...

p.s., I have a kid (name starts with J) who never wants to wear a shirt either. Sometimes it doesn't bug me. Sometimes I would like photographs with actual clothes in them. ;)

Emily said...

I need goggles when I spray Pam. Ask Matthew.

Christy said...

Emily-point the nozzle AWAY from your face