Tuesday, November 3, 2009

taking squash too far... even for me.

I've been accused of being a little crazy with the squash in my time. I used to steam and puree banana squash and make squash waffles for Carly and Rachel when they were little. I added cinnamon, nutmeg and applesauce. They weren't terrible. I ate them too. Just trying to be a good mommy you know, trying to get their 5-a day in. I ran across a new squash recipe the other day. I just wanted my brothers and sisters to know that this is taking squash too far.... even for me....
I am a firm believer that squash should Never be served in any form of smoothie. And that includes all those pumpkin pie shakes that pop up at this time of year. Cold pumpkin pie I can drink? no thank you.
  • Pumpkin Pie-sicles
From FamilyFun Magazine
Pumpkin Pie-sicles S

These butternut squash ice pops taste just like the classic Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2/3 cup light cream
  • 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
X

Instructions
  1. To make a batch, cut a butternut squash into quarters and scoop out the seeds.

  2. Boil, bake, or microwave the squash until it's soft. Let the squash cool a bit before scooping its flesh into a medium-size bowl.

  3. Add pure maple syrup, light cream, and pumpkin pie spice to the bowl. Use a potato masher to mush the squash and blend all of the ingredients.

  4. Spoon the mixture into ice pop molds (we were able to fill 10), add sticks, and freeze for at least 6 hours before serving.

10 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

ummmm, I love squash, butternut, especially, all others, yup! Squash Popsicles,Nope, Nada, NOOO!

Emily said...

Ew! Although I am a fan of pumkin ice cream.

Christy said...

I'm glad to see you have a line you won't cross. I have been worried at times. Pizza Burrito, squash waffles etc. You got that Grandma Cox inginuity gene for sure (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), but there are certainly worse things than channelling Grandma Cox occasionally.

Maursupial said...

Nice to know you have limits.

Mr Lowe said...

You know Jamie, Pumpkin Pie Shakes are delicious! I know they are full of fat and sugar, but delicious!

Amy Sorensen said...

lol...I needed that giggle this morning!

I love squash too. mmmmmm.

Karen Brothersen said...

Do you have any good tips on acorn squash? I have one, and now I am undecided what to do with it! ha ha

Jamie said...

karen: my sister Emily had this recipe on her blog and it's a different squash but maybe it would work for acorn too.

Butternut Squash Bisque

2 Tbsp butter
2 small onions, chopped
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
5 cups chicken stock
8 oz. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives + some to garnish (optional)
Salt & pepper
Red pepper flakes

In a large pot, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add squash, stock, potatoes and paprika. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 35 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Blend in batches until smooth. Stir in cream, season with salt & pepper, reheat gently. Stir in chopped chives or red pepper flakes just before serving. Garnish with chives or cream.

Jamie said...

Jenafer
I have tried a pumpkin pie smoothie at jamba juice. THey were giving free samples one day and I have to admit that the taste was not BAD but it was so wrong.... I can not drink pumpkin pie. There is just something so inherently wrong that I can not do it. That is just where I stand. crazy or not. It's my stand.

Melissa said...

I will be the lone dissenter: I think they sound good! I love squash and have a yummy butternut one waiting to be transformed into dinner when I get home! Since I don't have light cream this recipe will have to wait. But seriously. I'd eat 'em.