Friday, February 20, 2009

Cub Scout Bear Requirement 5B

Build or make a bird feeder or birdhouse and hang it in a place where birds can visit safely.

We went with "make" since, as Auntie Maury pointed out in her comment to my last post, I majored in paper construction management and not woodworking, and Mark is not so handy with wood and nails either.
I found this recipe in my Feb. issue of Family Fun.  It really is my parenting partner in all things crafty.
It was simple and fun and it worked.  The next morning they were both gone but we then found one on the ground where the ribbon had broken through.  We wrapped a ribbon around it and rehung it.  We haven't been able to observe any birdies pecking at our biscuits but one is gone so they must have liked it!  

So any other bear moms out there???? page 52 complete in about an hour.   It's a good thing.

5 comments:

Maursupial said...

do you have a lot of birds around this time of year? I'm amazed you have any!

Jamie said...

We always have birds! Not as many as in the spring/summer/fall but plenty!!!! they are acclimatized, apparently

Christy said...

When I had my bird feeder out in the backyard (before Alyx decided to declare war on the morning doves) I was amazed how many and how varied our birds are. They are very oportunistic and seem to know where all the feeders are in no time too!

Emily said...

Christy - you mean your bird lure that you put in your yard to attract prey for your lightning-fast, high-jumping Corgi?

Jamie, No bears at our house, but that's definitely a project we'll have to try. Don't worry, we don't have any bird-hunters in our yard.

Jennifer said...

Good job Jamie and Jake. They look wonderful

The main reason I'm leaving a comment: word verification

dograp: noun; the stuff my kids picket up in the yard today. Curtis and Alyssa picked up dograp today.