Monday, February 9, 2009

Sometimes the answer is "No"


This prayer was shared by my wonderful,amazing mother-in-law who loves me like her own daughter. She is the best M-I-L in existence!


I think the prayer that I will never forget that got answered- got answered in a way that I did not want. We don't always get the answer we want. Sometimes the answer is no.

When your grandpa Manuel was coming on from work in Jan. of 1981 his car was hit by a drunk driver. Manuel was hurt very badly and they transported him to the hospital. I had just gotten home from work at the bus yard (I was a school bus driver) and my neighbor was at the house waiting for me. She took me to the hospital and I was very upset while we were driving. My neighbor said not to worry. Maybe he only had a broken arm or something and would be just fine. I started praying while we were driving and the most amazing thing happened. I was able to hear your grandpa Manuel speaking to someone. He said "No, I can't go with you. Donna and the kids need me. I have to stay here." The other person said to Manuel, "Come with me, she and the children will be o.k. You need to come with us." I started crying really hard then and the driver said what is wrong? We don't even know how bad the accident was. I said that I knew it was bad and that Manuel was not going to make it. Well of course when we got to the hospital they said they were going to air lift him to a different hospital and do brain surgery. But I knew he would never make it and he died before they even got him on the helicopter. I guess the Lord knew I needed a little bit of a warning before getting to the hospital and He also knew I needed to know that Manuel wanted to stay but the Lord knew we would, in time, be o.k. Sometimes we do not see the whole road ahead and it is hard to accept a "No" to a very heartfelt prayer. He knows all and we must accept His will even when we don't like it. When we get to the other side I think we will see the big picture and understand better. It is still hard to this very day not to wish the prayer could have been answered with a "Yes" instead of a "No". But the Lord loves us and knows more than we can ever begin to understand.

I pray you will remember that your Heavenly Father is ALWAYS there and He will answer ALL of your prayers in a way that is BEST for YOU.


6 comments:

Amanda said...

How wonderful to be taken care of so well by our Heavenly Father. I know that Manuel is so proud of Mark & his mom. I know that he also must love you like a daughter as well. Who couldn't?! You guys are the best.

Emily said...

Thank you for sharing this. I remember how touched I was when you shared this story with me last summer. What a beautiful heritage your children have!

Oh, & I'll have to argue with you about your claim to have the best M-I-L in existence, because I do!

The Jones :) said...

Wow...thank you for sharing that...and for your M-I-L sharing that. What an experience to go through...and to still be "ok" with it in time. I needed to hear that today...so thank you again Jaime!! Not always easy to get the answer you don't want...but He really is in control and knows so much more then we do!! Thanks again!!
-Becki :)

Amy Sorensen said...

Jamie, I read this last night and have been thinking about it ever since. I think it was something I needed to be reminded of, since i tend to, you know, throw a temper tantrum or start pouting when I finally figure out that the answer was "no." What a powerful way to receive her "no." I wish it were always so clear.

Christy said...

This is a great example that we don't always get the answere we want, no matter how hard it is. What a great story of a loving Heavenly Father; to allow her that experience in such a difficult time. Jamie does have a great M-I-L and I have felt enveloped by her love when spending time with her.

Aprilyn said...

Thanks for sharing that. I have a wonderful M-I-L too.
When we were praying for our Mom to get better, we didn't know that the answer was no. We still don't know why she had to die but it's easier to accept now that it's been 16 yrs. I made a wonderful book with Heritage Makers. It's full of pictures and memories of my Mom. I made it for my youngest sister when she got married because she doesn't have that many memories of Mom and our Step-Mom (this is the 3rd now) doesn't really want us to talk about her..or so my Dad says.