Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fun for the whole family


So last night we had some unplanned fun the whole family.  

I fix dinner.  

Mark calls the kids to the table but instructs them to wash their hands first.

Mason leaves the water running in the sink upstairs when he is finished.  oops! He was very upset when he was pinpointed as the "person at fault".  "It was an accident!!!!" he howled.

Our sink in that bathroom has draining issues that Mark has not gotten time to fix yet....

We have a nice dinner.  

Mark finishes first and goes to relax in the family room.

No relaxing.  Only yelling for towels, bowls and he runs upstairs.  I am trying to figure out what is going on.

He starts in the bathroom, getting the water shut off and begins pulling out all the towels in the cupboard to mop up the  floor.  The rest of us split up heading to the upstairs bathroom to help Mark or downstairs to the family room directly below it to see water draining from the ceiling.  
Lovely. 

Chaos ensues.  Children, parents, rushing for bowls, towels.  Moving furniture.  Grabbing pictures, remotes. 

The panic was too great while the water was running from the ceiling to get a picture of that. It was quite a sight.  Jacob described the sounds made from water rapidly pinging into the metal bowl as sounding like "machine gun fire".  Does that give you a little picture?
But here is some of the resulting damage to our ceiling.
Here is the line of bowls on the floor necessary to catch where water was dripping.  There were also 2 bowls on top of our entertainment center which, thank goodness, only started dripping near the end so we our TV, stereo, speakers, photographs, etc did not get too wet.  It was a little stressful to say the least.  

After the dripping stopped and the water we could get to was mopped up and sopped up...   
We went to the public library for FHE.  There was a program featuring Native American stories an dancing with one of my neighbors performing.  Thank goodness we had a reason to leave the house to let it finish drying and, most of all, NOT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT.  

At least I know a good carpet cleaner.....


6 comments:

Matthew said...

Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can relate. Sometimes a guy is so busy thinking about fighting crime that he forgets the little stuff.

Christy said...

Fun fun. I love that you still went to the Library for FHE, I don't think I would of done that. You definately have your priorities right! Way to go!

Jennifer said...

Your excitment makes our "I don't want to die" seem trivial.

Amy Sorensen said...

!!!!!

I'm glad it wasn't TOO bad, but this seriously gives me a stomach ache.

So sorry!

Mr Lowe said...

I agree with Christy! It would have been far easy and understandable to stay home with the mess than to get out and FHE it up! Good job for "choosing the better part".

Word Verification: ankers
Ankers away! Let's go to the library and escape the flood!

Julie said...

That is terrible. Going to the library sounded like a great idea. Sorry I had to laugh at your description of everything. You make drastic situations funny. Hope it does not cost too much to get fixed. That is crazy!