Saturday, February 14, 2009

Jacob's prayer

It's nice to know some of what you are trying to teach your kids is getting through.  

Jacob had a talk in primary a couple of Sunday's ago.  I like to have my kids try to memorize their talks.  It's good for their little brains even though they complain about it.  I like them to write their talks themselves as much as possible too.  Even when they're little I ask them leading questions about the subject and try to get in their words.  So when Jacob and I sat down to write his talk together I found out about a situation where he used prayer when he needed some help.  I knew, of course, that he had lost the batteries and I was pretty upset with him for getting them out and losing them.  I also knew that he had found them with the help of his brother and sister.   What I didn't know was what happened in between.  

Here's his talk and his story:


I Have a Father in Heaven Who Loves Me.


I know this because the Book of Mormon and Bible teach me about him. 

I know this because he sent Jesus to live on earth and teach us and be sacrificed for our sins.

When I learn about Jesus I learn about my Heavenly Father. In the Bible in the book of John chapter 5 verse 19

it says: 

And answered Jesus “Verily Verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself,but what he seeth 

the Father do”


I Have a Father in Heaven Who Loves Me.


I know this because he helps me every day overcome problems that are hard.

On Friday I realized I had lost 3 rechargeable batteries.They are really expensive so I had to either find them or work to pay for 3 new ones. My little sister and brother helped me look for them. I prayed 2 times. My sister and brother also prayed. Then my sister said, “Lets look at the batteries inside this toy.”  I thought, “It couldn’t be there, I don’t remember putting them in that toy!”.  Then I thought again “well, I might as well look!”  


I unscrewed the bolt and there they were.

I know that Heavenly Father helped me and that Samantha recieved a prompting to suggest that toy and that I was prompted to look even though I was sure they weren’t there.  


That’s how I know that Heavenly Father helps and loves us.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

It was good to read Jacob's talk. As I read the talk, I could just hear Jacob saying it. I'm thankful Jacob, that Heavenly Father loves us and wants to help us, but sadly, most of the time we just want to try it on our own. I'm glad that you know that it is important to bend your knees. I hope that you also got down on your knees to thank Him. That's important too, very important. I'm glad to be your grandma.

Julie said...

Gosh I miss the kids talking in primary. What a great talk. That's great you have them write it and memorize it. You have alot of patience. You are an amazing mom. You set such a good example as a parent. You are my example. Love ya

Aprilyn said...

That is a great talk. I'll try to work on getting Nate to memorize his too. I tend to forget he even has a talk until Sat. night.

Jamie said...

Well Mason had a talk this week and I remembered Sunday morning so memorized it was not but written it was so there..... sometimes you're with it, sometimes you're not! :)