I remember the year that Dad went hunting in Wyoming with Dr. Roberts and his brother. It was either 1981 or 1982. Jennifer was going to Jr. high in YV and we lived in Desert Hot Springs. Usually Jennifer went to the clinic and rode home with Dad but with him out of town she went to Julie Jones' home after school in Yucca Valley and I waited til the rest of you were out of school and we drove up to get her about 4:00 in the loveable but extremely undependable GMC van, complete with our dogs,Katie and Copy. We had no cell phones! We, of course, stayed to visit and the kids to play. Julie offered to feed us supper but we decided that we needed to get home. The fact was, I'd promised you children that we'd eat out in DHS probably at the Carl's Jr.
We loaded up, didn't forget Uncle David, and headed for the Morongo Grade. As we got to the top of the last pass, after going through Morongo Valley, our lights went out and the motor quit; but the van was rolling. I called, probably yelled, back to all you children that you'd better get on your knees and pray for our safety, and that we wouldn't get stranded out there. Plus the thing that scared me to death was the fact that when we got to the bottom of the grade we had to make a left turn and go across two lanes of traffic going to Desert Hot Springs. That road was always so busy at that time of evening, the cars drove so fast & it was so very dark.
I didn't say another word to you children,because I was praying so hard. You blessed children were on your knees praying and I'm sure afraid too, as we were going down those curves with no lights and not much braking power, plus the power steering had gone out.
When we came to the crossing of the freeway, we had to stop as there were too many cars coming and I sat there and cried, visualizing leaving the van and walking that dark stretch of narrow road in the desert with 6 kids, (David was probably not quite 2) and two dogs. The other alternative was to leave you all in the van and me walk for help and that wasn't even considered! A couple drove up behind us and instead of honking their horn, came to see what was the matter. He tried to jumper cable us and it wouldn't turn over. he tried again and it gave a little gasp. I put the foot on the gas and we leaped across that Highway 62; when we got to the otherside, once again the lights went out and the motor quit BUT we kept rolling! We rolled about a mile to the Country Club street, turned that corner to the left and rolled right up to the back of the Familia's home, which was probably a 1/2 mile and there it stopped! I feel badly that I didn't even yell 'thank you' to that couple; but I think they knew how thankful we were.
Seven thankful people and two dogs walked to the Familia's door and asked for a ride home.
We had no other transportation till Dad got home from the hunting trip a few days later. We didn't get the promised "eating out" but we were home, safe and knowing that Heavenly Father knew us and wanted us to be there without harm.
1 comment:
wow. I don't even remember that experience, which is strange considering how truly scary it was. Of course, we had several experiences like that in the GMC van.
Post a Comment