Thursday, February 12, 2009

A prayer for love

This was shared by my awesome sister-in-law Jenafer,  I wish I could post a picture of her because she's awful cute! but... I'm posting from Mark's computer because my computer is BACK getting checked because they didn't find anything wrong the first time and it's STILL having the same problems.  It's under a warranty plan so it's back til they figure it out or we get a new one!

Sorry... tangent...

Back to Jenafer.  She shared this prayer about loving people and I thought it was a wonderful example of how prayer can change our hearts if we ask.  

The first example of prayer that came to my mind was when I was preparing to go on my mission. I had just received my mission call to go to Oklahoma and I was very excited, scared, nervous and worried. I was worried that, because going to Oklahoma was not at all where I was expecting to go, I wouldn't love the people. So, that night I began to pray that I would love the people of Oklahoma and that Heavenly Father would have his children prepared for me to be His instrument in teaching them. I continued to pray for that each morning and each night until I entered the MTC, while I was in the MTC and that prayer continued while I was a missionary. I know that prayer was answered. I don't think that there has ever been a person who loves the people of Oklahoma more than I do. They are not an easy people to love, they are very different than any other people I have known. However, I love them. I know Heavenly Father did in fact prepare His children for me to teach and love. Some of them were baptized, some of them were reactivated, some were not and I continue to pray for them. I don't know if I will ever know, in this life, if some of those great folks returned to the church or were baptized but I do know that I love them, all of them.


Jenafer also shared another prayer with us that was quite personal so I won't share all the details here but I wanted to tell you a little about it because I think a lot of us find ourselves in similar situations.  She has a challenge right now in her life that is very difficult, that she would very much like to see change.  She has been praying and fasting for 2 years  without any change but the beautiful part is this:. She has ben blessed with a measure of peace regarding her situation, she has been strengthened.  she says " I don't know why my specific prayers haven't been answered but I do know it will happen. I just wanted to share a story with you of a time when my prayers were not answered right away. I do know that through this my testimony has been tested and strengthened. My faith has been tested and strenghened. My commitment has been tested and strengthened."



2 comments:

Answer to Many said...

How old is your sister in Law? My Brother and SIL went OK on their mission too.

Emily said...

Jamie, you could keep these prayer-posts going on your blog forever. I love reading them.

Thanks for your example & testimony Jena. I love you!