Thursday, February 5, 2009

The slump

I'm in a slump.  
I'm tired.... been tired for days.
I don't want to do anything.
It's terrible.
I'm waiting for it to go away.
I'm having a  frightening thought, however, that I'm actually going to DO something energetic on my own to lose the slump.
I don't think the slump magically ends.
I think all the slump does is beget more slump.
I think I have to get off my butt and unslump even though I dont' want to, to end the slump.
What do you think?


16 comments:

Christy said...

I think the slump stays until you have a great laugh and do something fun! Call someone and go to dinner at a place you've never been-have a fruity frozen drink and go see a funny movie! That's my rx for unslumping!

Emily said...

Oh, come on Jamie, just pull yourself up by your bra straps! ;)

Things that work for me when I need to unslump (which is like every other day):
1 - Go to work. I can't sit on my lazy butt there.
2 - Dig in the dirt. I have a glorious pile of compost out back just waiting for me.
3 - Do all the laundry in the dang house. I don't know why this works, but it does.
4 - Go on a hike. Or just a walk to the post office.

Things that only prolong my slumps:
1 - Surfing the internets.
2 - Eating cookie dough out of the fridge.
3 - Making macaroni & cheese for lunch.
4 - Sleeping in.
5 - Staying up late.

Good luck Jamie! We'll call soon to see if you need an Intervention.

word verification: gagigl
Your post made me gagigl. (Emphasis on giggle, not gag)

Maursupial said...

I will say (although I'm in my own slump) that staying in the slump just makes you feel slumpier and then it's just a quick slide into using the sit and shop and Wal-Mart. Soooooooo pull yourself out of the slump even though it hurts. I'd hate to see you turn into toothless Wal-Mart lady.

Wendy said...

Yeah, I don't think slumps just magically disappear very often.

You make very good Hawaiian haystacks when you're in a slump.

Prayer and a nap could help . . . and a good long bath with no interruptions and yummy smelling products and chocolate.

Karen Brothersen said...

Get up Jamie... I don't want to see you lose that idea we all have of you. That you are "The perfect, wife, mother, Church going, soccer mom, pta president, best neighbor in the world, WOMAN!" ha ha. THat makes me tired just typing it. ha ha

Karla said...

"And chances are, then that you will be in a Slump! And when you're in a slump, you're not in for much fun, unslumping yourself is not easily done. You'll come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win? And IF you go in, should you turn left or right... or right and three quarters or maybe not quite. Or go around back and sneak in from behind? Simple it's not I'm afraid you will find for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind! You can get so confused that you'll start in to race down long wiggled roads across weirdish wild space, headed I fear for the most useless place.... the Waiting Place!" You better do something quick, you don't want to be in the waiting place!! (and that wasn't a direct quote, I couldn't find my book to verify the real words, it may still be in a box somewhere.)

Karla said...

Oh, one more idea... do you know who the Savvy Shopper is? She is coming tonight for my RS enrichment here at 7pm, wanna come and unslump yourself and find out shopping stuff.... (okay so I don't really know who she is, or what is so great about her or what she does...they have just been making her a big deal). I made cookies that didn't turn out at all that I am taking with me... but they have frosting on them, so that makes them better right? LOL Did I say it starts at 7pm?

Jamie said...

Christy:
good RX
Emily:re: unslump list
I already to #1,#3. didn't help but walking I think would do it.
slump list:
doing way too much of #2, #3,#4, #5
weird thing was I didn't want to do much of #1, was reading the whole sisterhood/pants series.
am doing better: made some "morning glory" muffins today. made me feel better. cooking that I didn't "have" to do.
Maury: please NOOOOOOOO! I don't want to be her. I am making an unslumping plan as we speak.
Wendy: I'm glad it was good. hmmm..chocolate... that might make it worse though.
KARLA: you did that without a book????I am so impressed!!!
Karen:
I am none of those things really, just a really good illusionist!

Matthew said...

It's the inversion. I blame it on the inversion.

You need to get some fresh air. Come to Toquerville! Bring the family.

Aprilyn said...

I'm in an exhausted slump. Marshall has not been sleeping well at all and it's wearing on me. I think I need a nap.
Something I do to unslump is make myself do my FlyLady morning routine. I love a clean house but it's only gonna get clean if I do it. Not sure why nobody else can see those socks sitting on the floor that STILL need to be picked up.

Amanda said...

Here's a suggestion, if you can hang on for a few weeks. Lets go to our lunch!? Let me know what you think.

Jamie said...

Karla,
would have loved to come with you but we had the blue and Gold banquet for cub scouts tonight. Our van died upon trying to leave the house so....
Emily, I got some walking in!!! we walked to the church and back. It was a nice night for it however. full moon, warmish for February, no wind. When Mark got home it started up NO problem! whatever. My van is against me.

Jamie said...

Amanda:
of course! a few weeks it will be.

Julie said...

I WANT to be in a slump right now and just lay on the couch and do nothing. Let's trade... you can work my 3 jobs 12-18 hours a day and I will do what you are doing. Ha Ha! I agree with Wendy. Chocolate is a GREAT idea! I also agree.. do all the dang flippin laundry in the whole house and do mine too. Infact come and clean my house and cook some dinners for me. Ha Ha! I hope you get out of your slump and feel better. Love ya

Julie said...

Go make some brownies..MMM and save me one. Ha Ha!

Jamie said...

julie:
well, now I'm just embarrassed. You are working 12-18 hrs a day???!!!!! girl that's my problem! not enough work.