Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Teacher's Prayer

A couple of weeks ago, I told you about a great Family Night we had sharing family stories about prayer.  I got permission from all involved and want to share them here because these stories are real.  The power of prayer is real and well... this is my blog and I get to do what I want.

Soo.... I'll be posting them this week.  Hope you enjoy them.

#1 A Teacher's Prayer   -shared by my brother Matthew
When I started teaching, my mentor teacher, Mrs. Smith*, was a lady who had a strong testimony of prayer and told me that I should pray every day before my kids got there to make sure I'd have the Spirit with me. Well, I've tried to make that a habit. Each morning when I get to work I find a little quiet time to pray about the kids I'll work with that day. And sometimes I know that I am guided in what I do and say.

One day in particular, I found out that I would be getting a new third grade student. His name was John* and he seemed like a quiet and nice kid. I had a great class that year, but I had several kids in there who were rather rambunctious-- and not always nice to the new students--  and it made me a little worried for John*. I worried that he wouldn't quite fit in. 

Usually when I got a new kid, I don't usually make a huge deal about them-- maybe I'd have them introduce themselves tell us that their favorite food was pizza and have the class play a 5 minute get-to-know-you game and then we go on with our day-- but that day, as I prayed for guidance, I felt prompted to give John* special attention. So, before the day started, I found John* and introduced him to as many kids on the playground as I could find. Then when we started class, I did the regular get-to-know-you stuff and then we got to work. That class, that was usually quite wild, was beyond kind to each other-- and especially John*-- and better behaved than they had been all year. 

Later on, when the kids were haded out the door and going home, I asked John* a few personal questions. As I talked to him I found out that he had recently been orphaned. His mother had died earlier that week, that he didn't have any family members who wanted him, and that he had come to our town to live with his Mom's best friend. He told me that he had been worried about starting school, that the kids at his last school had been mean to him and bullied him, and that he felt safe in our class.

That day I gained a testimony of a few things I'd been taught all my life. 

I learned that the Lord knows our needs. He wants us to feel safe and happy.

I learned that if we are kind to others-- especially the kids who don't quite fit in-- we are doing what the Lord himself would do if her were here.

I learned that Heavenly Father answers our prayers.

*names changed

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That story was so beautiful, & a little heartbreaking. My heart just ached for that poor boy. What an amazing teacher Mathew is to have listened so carefully to the spirit. It just goes to show you that prayer & the Spirit are needed in every aspect of our lives.

The Bingham Family said...

Thanks for sharing that Jamie- and Matthew. I needed that tonight!

Judy said...

I needed that, too. Thank you (both of you) for sharing that wonderful story. I am looking forward to reading each and every story you'll be putting out there, Jamie. And it's a terrific idea.

Aprilyn said...

That is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to share it with my sister and bro.-in-law who are both teachers.